My Journey of Life and Faith
The purpose of this isn’t to come off preachy, but to briefly share about the biggest thing that has happened in my life: I grew up as an Atheist until the age of 19. During a difficult time I realized some big truths:
- That the arguments for the theories that backed up my Atheism took as much faith to believe as any religious statement I had brushed off.
- That my devotion to atheism was hypocritically religious, and equally evangelical to faiths I hated (though replacing love with mockery and sarcasm).
- I also wanted the peace and satisfaction my Christian friends seemed to have.
I also realized that as an Atheist I had nothing to gain by my beliefs! If I was right and the Christian was wrong; death would mean nothing. If I was wrong and the Christian was right – it would mean I would be paying for my stubborness for eternity, which would mean everything.
Eternity is a long time.
There is a lot on the line. I realized that if there was even a one in a billion chance that there was more to life and eternity I had to find out. I checked out many religious systems, but ultimately reading a bible is where I was finding some very challenging and difficult truths. What I found completely changed my life and my eternity.
I discovered the ten commandments (or God’s Law), and saw that by it I was a sinner, completely unworthy of salvation. I learned that there was nothing I could do to ever be right with God – but that it was already done and I just needed to accept it for myself: I learned that Jesus was and is the only way to be right with God, and that’s why he died on the cross. I made this truth mine personally.
My life and who I am was completely and irreversibly changed.
Seek truth. It’s the most important thing you can do.
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” – Matthew 7.7-8
- The Gospel of John, Chapter 3 – New Testament
- Exodus chapter 20 , the ten commandments – Old Testament
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
- Glory in the Gospel